As many of you know, my middle daughter was married this weekend. This was one of the happiest days of my life. Today, I can barely see through my blurry eyes. I am recalling all the advice I received as a mother-of-the-bride. Most of it was unsolicited and tended to make me feel like a total failure. However, this weekend, my daughter told me something entirely different. A snippet of her note to me:
Without you, I wouldn’t be the woman I am. Without you, I wouldn’t know what a real, true, and loving marriage is…
I have compiled my own Top Ten list of advice:
- When you don’t know what to say, say thanks.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. So much of it is small stuff.
- Love much!
- Pee when you can.
- Family is who shows up.
- Invite the talent of those in your circle.
- Hydrate (see #4)
- Everything around you is an expression of love.
- Let people be nice to you.
- Love much! (That one bears repeating)